Last year in August, Better Homes and Gardens magazine (India) asked me to do a Vitamin C loaded recipe for their features. Ofcourse I was over the moon and without a thought headed towards the berries but realised that would be too predictable. After a quick research I realised pineapple is a great source of Vitamin C too and I had been meaning to do grilled pineapple for really long anyway. A few minutes on Pinterest and I was sure I wanted to make a Grilled Pineapple, and to stay true to the challenge I made some healthy low fat Frozen Vanilla Yogurt to go with it. To make the dessert a little juicier, I made some rum syrup to drizzle on top and VOILA, I had a delectable dessert minus calories!
This recipe has been inspired by a lot of blogs especially SkinnyMS, her rum syrup tastes fabulous! I couldn’t have enough of it!
- • Hung Curd, 1 ½ cup
- • Honey, 2 tablespoons
- • Vanilla Beans from 1 Vanilla Pod
- • Vanilla essense, ¼ teaspoon
- • Water, 50 ml
- • Dark Rum, 120 ml
- • Dark Brown Sugar, 2 tablespoons
- • Pineapple, sliced, 3-4 pieces (3/4th of an inch thick)
- • Mint Leaves, for garnish (optional)
- For the frozen vanilla yogurt: Mix hung curd, vanilla beans, vanilla essence and honey using a hand whisk. Once you attain a smooth consistency transfer the mix to a plastic container and cover it with plastic wrap. Freeze for atleast 4 hours.
- For the rum syrup: mix water, rum and dark brown sugar in a pan. Heat this mixture over medium heat until it begins to boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and let it reduce for 7-8 minutes. Do not increase the heat or thicken it too much. We want a slightly runny syrup. Let it cool in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve.
- When you’re ready to serve, heat your grill on high. Once hot, place pineapple slices over it. Let it grill until you see grill marks. Flip and repeat on the other side.
- To assemble, place the pineapple slice on a plate, top it with a scoop of vanilla yogurt and drizzle some rum syrup over it.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE TO TRY…