A simple and quick recipe for a savoury loaf cake loaded with cheddar cheese, jalapenos and sweet corn that you can enjoy for breakfast or tea.
I’m back..! After 10 days of no blogging, and almost a week of no Instagramming I’m finally posting this new recipe, and this one’s a winner. I was down with food poisoning for a few days, followed by a phase of extreme laziness which is the reason behind my absence. All these days all I wanted to do was sleep, eat and ignore the world! I didn’t bake or cook or even move and that’s unusual for me. I was worried that I may have permanently damaged my brain but thankfully not. I finally made this gorgeous savoury cake which had me drooling..and thinking. This loaf is actually what I’ve been munching on while contemplating about my life and the next big thing. This bread will do that to you. It’ll comfort you to the extent that you would want to have conversations with yourself. Like me.
This loaf is a savory cake which is inspired by my Cheesy Jalapeno Muffins. Those muffins have been my favourite since forever and this cake is actually a loaf version of that..with egg. Yes, this recipe has an egg but my Cheesy Jalapeno Muffins don’t! If you’re looking for a vegetarian version you should give those a try. If you’re not a vegetarian this super moist loaf is for you. Filled with cheddar cheese and pickled jalapenos, it’s a great thing to have in the fridge because it serves as a great accompaniment to tea/coffee and even for breakfast. And trust me when I say this, you may even want to have this for lunch and dinner. I know I did.
- • All Purpose Flour (or maida), 2 cups or 250 grams approx.
- • Baking Powder, 2 teaspoons
- • Salt, 1 teaspoon
- • Milk, 1⅓ cup or 320 ml
- • Yogurt, 4 tablespoons
- • Melted Butter, 6 tablespoons
- • Eggs, 2
- • Cheddar Cheese (grated), 2 cups
- • Pickled Jalapenos (chopped), ½ cup
- • Canned Sweetcorns, ½ cup
- • Salt and Pepper (for the top), to tastes
- • Jalapenos (for the top), 10-15 sliced
- In a bowl, sieve flour, baking powder and salt and keep aside to be used later.
- In another bowl, mix milk, yogurt, melted butter and eggs. Whisk them until everything is properly combined. This should take about 2-3 minutes with an electric mixer.
- Preheat your oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes.
- Add the dry ingredients from step 1 to the wet ingredients and mix using a spatula to avoid knocking out the air. Mix only until you no longer see dry flour.
- Once everything is combined, add in the cheddar cheese, chopped jalapenos and canned sweetcorns. Mix to distribute them evenly.
- Pour this batter into a greased loaf tin (22 cm), sprinkle salt and pepper on top. If you're feeling indulgent, sprinkle some cheese on top. Place the jalapenos on the surface and bake this batter for about 40 minutes at 160 degree Celsius.
- Once the loaf cools down, take it out and enjoy!
- For storing instructions, read this post.